Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11 Let's not forget!

It's been eight years today since the horrific terrorist attack on the United States.

Do you remember where you were? I do, I'll never forget it. I was awakened by a telephone call from my aunt telling me to turn on the television, a plane had hit the World Trade Center. What a horrible accident!

As I was watching the news coverage, the second plane hit. I know I wasn't absorbing what was happening and there was silence on both ends of the phone.

I called for my mother, who was sleeping in my guest room. She had just flown in because we were leaving the next day for Greece. My husband was in Kosovo at the time. My mother, my sister and I were going over to meet him. Needless to say, we never made it.

We all know what happened next and the heartache that followed. The loss of life, the stories of heroes, the pain of loss and the joy of finding survivors.

I don't know about you, but that day changed my life forever. I no longer feel the safety and security that I once did because I live in the United States.

I'm less trusting of people and situations. I am ever aware of my surroundings.

I do worry, too, that people are becoming more complacent. Please don't think this can never happen again. It can, and it I'm sure someone will make another attempt one day.

We need to stay ever vigilant. Be watchful and be sure to report any unusual activities to authorities.

Pray for peace every single day! God rest the souls of 9/11/2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive